Monday, June 3, 2013

Sprouted wheat flour

In addition to sprouting small seeds for salads and sandwiches, I like to do sprouted wheat for flour and for wheat grass. I use the basic sprouting methods found here. But I use a much bigger container and a lot more seed.

Large bowl with sprouted wheat.
I fill my biggest bowl about 3/4 full of wheat, red or white, hard or soft. I put it in the sink and fill it with water. The chafe from the wheat will rise to the top as will any wheat that is broken or not sprout able. As I run the water over it, I stir it up with my hands to bring the wheat to the top and let it all get cleaned up. I take the stuff that rises to the top and throw it away. I let it rinse until the water runs clear. I drain off all of this water and then fill the bowl with filtered water and put the lid loosely on. Let it soak for 8-10 hours or overnight.  One it has soaked, strain off all the water. (I usually dump it into a large strainer and then rinse well with clean water) Put it back in the bowl and place the lid loosely on and rinse again in about 12 hours and then again 12 hours later. The wheat should have started to sprout and look like this.
Close up of sprouted wheat.
On the dehydrator
Now the wheat is ready to do: 1. dehydrate to make sprouted flour. or 2. prepare for wheat grass. 3. I also save a little of the sprouted wheat to make sprouted yeast bread. I'll post that recipe later. To dehydrate just scoop onto your dehydrating trays with teflex trays on them to keep the wheat from falling through. spread out evenly and stack trays until you have as many as you need. Turn the dehydrator on to 105 degrees. Dehydrate for about 24 hours or more depending on how moist your air is.
Once it is dry, grind into flour and store in the freezer.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you blogged, I look forward to reading it. What are your thoughts on soaking the wheat in an acidic medium rather than sprouting? It's seems like something I would do more than the time it takes to sprout/dehydrate/etc. I read about it here:
    http://www.weedemandreap.com/2013/07/you-arent-cool-until-you-prepare-your-grains-properly.html

    ReplyDelete